Friday, July 30, 2004

beauty queens

Today I heard Nafisa Joseph killed herself and I am quite shocked. It also set me thinking: most of my friends have been beautiful women and most of their lives have been jam packed with tragedy. It just seemed as if the world expected too much of them and they were unable to deliver. Also, every single thing they did was cross examined minutely by those around. Which made them even more uncomfortable and so naturally more vulnerable. Quite a few of them have remained single, they just can't find the right one and even when they do, they are used as trophies to be shown off in the relationship. Is the old adage "beauty is a curse" too brutally honest? I can't say. All I know is that one old friend of mine who used to share my place at one time must be really shaken, since she lost her crown to Nafisa many years ago at the Miss India contest. Who would have thought that things would have turned out this way? All the little girls who wear flowers in their hair and say: I want to be Miss India when I grow up, will now subtly be told that they shouldn't say such bad things ever again! Life is indeed stranger than fiction.

No comments: