Wednesday, May 12, 2004

do u have friends in the city u have chosen to live in?

I went to Bangalore recently and a dear friend of mine asked me, So, do you have lots of friends in Pune ( where I now live)? And I promptly answered, Actually I have lots of friends in Bangalore and lots of friends in Bombay...but in Pune... I am not so sure. As an afterthought actually I have just one friend. SO that set me thinking: what constitutes a good friend in an alien city? I would say someone who has seen you go through dramatic changes in your life. And has always been around for a great chat no matter how much time has elapsed since the last time you'll met... (This is an arguable point.)
The other conundrum is --do you like the city you live in? From my point of view, I have lived in Pune, Bangalore and Bombay and have come to realise that if you love the people you encounter each day whether at home or at work, the city doesn't really matter. As one person I know put it- who cares where you live, life is about a glass of whisky, some fish fry and decent conversation. If you can't get it where you live right now, then get out.
This coming from someone sitting in the heart of New York! Its amazing how divinely simple life actually is!

No comments: