Thursday, May 20, 2004

will the real loud speaker please stand up, please stand up!

Where before my understanding of good sound was "more treble less bass", I have now been inducted into the Sound Hall Of Fame.

Thanks to someone very close to me who is trying to set up a home theatre system that threatens to turn the neighbours into batty Homer Simpsons, I am now a pro at audio.

I have e-learned that humanly audible sound is anywhere between 20Hz and 20,000Hz. To the uninitiated Hertz is vibrations per second not Rent a car!!

Now I also know that speakers have "drivers" which carry different types of sounds -- woofer focuses on bass (bass is low Hz), mid-range (200Hz to 1KHz) and the tiny tweeter (above 1KHz) for all that treble!! Not to mention the sound imaging! Something like knowing where the sound is actually coming from.

All in a day's work and "Thanks for listening" I say.

(Note: this blog has been edited by an audiophile.)

No comments: