Thursday, June 24, 2004

creative juices

In the past few days I have seen a really old movie - Mask, and a really new movie -The Day after Tomorrow.

Both had brilliant concepts, one was expertly executed, the other was a thorough mess.

If you've seen Mask you will realise that it couldn't be the badly executed one because the film maker took a really bizarre idea and transformed it so brilliantly on screen.

I for one like reality based movies which is why I am still dithering over seeing the Harry Potter -latest release- and Van Hesling. I would rather watch serial killers getting busted or the new spoof on Bush, Fahrenheit 9-11 I think its called.

But surprisingly I loved Mask. Similarly I loved Monsters Inc. I thought it was superbly executed.

So now I am thinking...why hasn't Bollywood ever created a smashing animation film? I hear we have some cutting edge animators in the country... so why are we still watching films with tried and tested plots like extra marital affairs, riots, cops and robbers, comedy romances, idiot ghosts... Koi Mil Gaya was a shade different, so my guess is that Indians can arguably be as creative as their western counterparts when they want to, but are poor risk takers.

Guess the market dictates most screen ventures and ours is still evolving. So we will just have to wait? And anyway, who on earth will financially back cartoon characters here?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Risk taking: If you look at the history, the kings have split the 'praja' into different types (now casts) based on their type of job. And majority of the people belong to the working class. And very few did trading, as opposed to say, Americans. This reflects in the society's tendancy to take risks.

We still prefer a job than doing business. OTOH, because of this, we have better overall educational quality as compared to Americans.

There is a benefit of high returns (with higher risks). And this reflects in the 'funding' nature of Americans. They do not make anything, they get it done. And for them it is not something to be ashamed about, it is just 'business'.

.:d

Anonymous said...

I guess TAARZAN will satisfy you.

Teju