Saturday, June 05, 2004

ice spice everything nice

Whenever I cook, I realise that I can never use a recipe. Call it laziness, lack of recipe books or whatever... But I have become an expert at following through aromas... So depending on what I smell at a particular stage in my cooking cycle will determine what ingredient I add next. Of course I have by now perfected this art. Which is why I wouldn't advice anyone to try it out as a first timer.

You have also to first decide what is your favourite spice. Mine is black pepper and garlic. So I add this to almost everything I make...Except banana fritters!!

The next thing is you have to know which ingredient will complement what food... Like green chillies go very well with baby corn in a stir fry while garlic goes well with mushroom... Similarly brinjal goes well with garam masalas and ladyfingers go well with coconut milk.

I am still in the process of experimenting...the last thing I found out was bell peppers go well with oregano and basil.

Back to the kitchen then!!

2 comments:

VM said...

Your talk of food is yummy! esp when I havent had home cooked food for almost an year. And right now , i'm on an empty stomach, so that adds to my misery :(

mich said...

Its amazing how easy it is to whip up a meal...it takes less than 20 mins. The time consuming part is finding something in your house to cook besides Maggi. This I say from my past experience of living alone!!